Tuesday, February 2, 2010

About Me

Hello, my name is Lauren Marie Grant (known as Lauren-Bot to a special few) and I am currently nineteen years old and a sophmore at U-W Stout. My major is studio art, and I will be soon declaring my concentration as drawing and painting. I was born in Michigan and moved to Apple Valley, Minnesota when I was eight years old. I came to Stout to major in Graphic Design but I fell in love with the studio classes here and decided studio work was what I had to do. But outside of the art field, I'd have to say my best experience at Stout so far has been admiring, chasing, and taking pictures of the extremely fat squirrels.

As a child it was my ambition to become an author and illustrator; I had a collection of stories I made up along with illustrations. This interest started because I loved children's books and loved their illustrations. Some of my favorites were and still are The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats, Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown, and The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. I have always loved to read but I'm now more interested in the area of illustration.

I absolutely love to draw, it is my favorite art form I have discovered so far. I find doodling is a way to help me focus, think, and relax. I wanted to take Drawing III because I still have a lot to learn about drawing. Although I have done pretty well in the previous classes, I still haven't pushed myself to explore my own ideas and get outside my comfort zone. I'm hoping to learn how to be confident with my ideas and express myself better through drawing. I also need to explore new mediums! I hope to use these skills so that after school I can pursue illustration or maybe something else, I'm not positively sure. I took some black and white photography in high school and I have a smaller passion for taking pictures. So I am thinking about minoring in photography. That's about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment