Monday, May 3, 2010

Second Drawing

Detail, Flat, Sandpaper.

These were my three word I chose out of a box for subject matter and materials for our second assignment. I wasn't quite sure how to approach drawing something detailed yet flat, but I took it pretty literally. I looked up the definitions (and chose the best ones)

flat: ~without vitality or animation; lifeless; dull
~having a generally level shape or appearance; not deep or thick

detail:
~attention to or treatment of a subject in individual or minute parts
~any small section of a larger structure or whole, considered as a unit
~
intricate, finely wrought decoration

I had the idea that cracked dirt on the ground would be interesting to examine and portray artistically. But I took my camera and went outside of the art building to take some photos. I had a few different ones but I ended up choosing a picture of very detailed, busy siding of the trash can. There are small rocks embedded all over the sides, something that is easy to overlook. But it was very detailed. And from afar, it would seem to be very boring and flat (like I normally view it).
Once I chose the photo, I had to decide how to use sandpaper to make the drawing. I chose to simply draw on sandpaper. I ended up gluing sheets of sandpaper on a much larger piece of paper, so that was a little bit of a challenge. From there I used the photo and mapped out the forms of the rocks. I started out using chalk pastel but that didn't stay on the paper very well, so I switched to oil pastel.

Here is the photo:

And the final drawing:

No comments:

Post a Comment